Plant ecology workgroup aims its forces in studying arctic plants, their ecology and physiology. We focus on the following topics:
- We investigate the vegetation in the central part of Svalbard and the main focus is on plant interactions, ecosystem services and a response to global changes at both species and ecosystem levels (e.g. through microclimate manipulation using OTCs).
- We monitor effects of herbivores on vegetation.
- Continuously we gather data to form a vegetation map of Billefjorden. Simultaneously, we collect plant functional traits to create a database of traits of Svalbard plants.
- We established several long-term manipulative experiments to study succession on glacier foreland, and effects of climate on plant communities. As a main method we use measurements of plant functional traits with a stress on ecophysiological traits. We are open also for foreign students.
- These topics together with functional traits of soil fauna and soil microorganisms form also a part of our ongoing project (GACR 7-20839S: Linking functional traits of three organism levels as driving mechanisms of ecosystem functionsin the Arctic)
Team members: Petr Macek, Alexandra Bernardová, Patrick Saccone, Tomáš Hájek