ELIXIR-CZ: Czech National Infrastructure for Biological Data
Vohnout Rudolf, Department of Computer Science
01 Jan 2020 – 31 Dec 2022
MŠMT, Research Infrastructures
Title CZ: Česká národní infrastruktura pro biologická data
Title EN: Czech National Infrastructure for Biological Data
Coordinator: Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry CAS
Partners: Biology Centre CAS, Institute of Biotechnology CAS, CESNET, z. s. p. o., Czech Technical University in Prague, St. Anne´s University Hospital, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, Masaryk University, Institute of Microbiology of the CAS, v. v. i., Charles University, Palacký University Olomouc, Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Czech Academy of Sciences, University of Chemistry and Technology Prague, University of West Bohemia Pilsen
PI: Vohnout Rudolf, Department of Computer Science
Implementation: 01 Jan 2020 – 31 Dec 2022
Budget: 146 845 000 CZK (project) / 6 283 000 CZK (SCI)
Call: Research Infrastructures
Elixír CZ is a large major infrastructure in the field of life sciences focused on biological data, their processing, storage, sharing and analysis. The Czech node ELIXIR represented by the IOCB Prague as a national node for bioinformatics, which includes an advanced computing environment, dedicated data collections and unique tools provided to the community for life science. The node is created and operated as a distributed infrastructure, which currently includes fourteen organizations. The partner institutions provide Czech researchers and the international scientific community with open access tools and databases. One of the partners is the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice.
- Providing services related to them and a database at an excellent level with a focus on the bioinformatics and Life Science user community in the Czech Republic and Europe, including support for these tools.
- Focus on new data-generating life sciences and emerging user communities.
- Providing solutions for unified access to data by adhering to and applying FAIR principles.
- Application of principles for unified data management and provision of tools for data management plan generation at both national and European level.
- Linking data and tools
- Creation of data strategy tools and its application in a heterogeneous national environment.
- An integral part of the Node is a specialized computing and storage environment managed by major national academic cloud / grid providers and reflecting the real needs of the Czech Republic on a European scale and at the ELIXIR Hub level.
- An important feature of the proposed ELIXIR node is the close connection and cooperation with ESFRI infrastructure projects in the Czech Republic – especially INSTRUCT, EATRIS, BBMRI, EuroBioimaging and EU-OPENSCREEN and others.
Links between national and pan-European research structures in three strong areas:
1) The most advanced and developed area belongs to the field of structural bioinformatics with a focus primarily on services and the development of specific tools. The structural area of bioinformatics is very closely connected with Czech partners for IT research infrastructure - specifically CESNET and CERIT SC, which provide not only computing and storage capacity, but also know-how in the field of networks and the use of heterogeneous resources.
2) The second largest area is curated databases in two main areas - specific collections of genomic data on microorganisms and plants and cheminformatics databases, which also serve as a link between other biomedical infrastructure projects such as EU-OPENSCREEN and EATRIS.
3) Last but not least, IT specialized solutions for the ELIXIR infrastructure are developed by IT partners and their involvement in other projects ELIXIR CZ represents a common platform for unification and efficiency of the whole process. The node also serves as a coordination platform for national bioinformatics activities and is responsible for data consistency, application of ELIXIR standards and global accessibility throughout the research area in the Czech Republic.