OJZ 510 - English for BCH and BI
Code: OJZ 510
Title: English for BCH and BI
Length: one week
Level: B1 – B2
Target participants: First year students of Biological Chemistry and Bioinformatics
Entry requirement/level of the course: B1 - B2
The students must have passed the entrance examinations in English.
Aims: Preparing Biological Chemistry and Bioinformatics students for study in English
Content and Approach: The classes focus on all language skills necessary for study in English – reading, listening, speaking, writing, and specialist vocabulary.
- Reading – students work with texts used for the preparation for the TOEFL examination as well as with scientific texts focusing on chemistry and bioinformatics.
- Listening – through direct communication with native speakers and listening exercises used for TOEFL preparation.
- Speaking – model situations in groups
- Writing – writing essays
- Specialist vocabulary for Biological Chemistry is taught by a chemistry specialist.
Credit is awarded for:
- Regular attendance (maximum three absences)
- Active participation in English in class
- Submission of home assignments
- The work load of home preparation is up to a number of hours per day
Materials: TOEFL Preparation Course, Dušková: Angličtina pro vědecké pracovníky, scientific papers, etc.
- It is not possible to attend this course without at first registering on-line (STAG).